Sunday, August 1, 2010

When I think of what I most want to do with my writing, I think of Sofia Coppola's movies. Think Marie Antoinette, Lost in Translation, and The Virgin Suicides (watch them if you haven't, especially the latter two). Her movies are often called "mood pieces" and I agree with the term---I remember the movies and scenes not so much for the plotlines and characters as I do for being swallowed up in the scenes. They spit me out nostalgic, or wistful. One of my favorites is a scene in Marie Antoinette, when Kirsten Dunst is the young queen playing with her four year old daughter in the tall grass in front of a cottage (at this particular moment, forget that the actual Marie Antoinette squandered taxpayer money in order to hire artists to paint cracks onto the cottage to simulate homeyness). The sun is soft, and you simultaneously think of all of the times you may have lay on your back in fair weather, looking up at clouds and not having to think beyond the moment. What I would love to do with my writing is not to "provide an escape" but to "provide a picture". Share moments that I think are beautiful.

Here is my analogous picture-mood to strolling around in tall grass with sheep nibbling dandelions from my fingers:



Bees + sun in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment